The Polish Community Center [1081 Broadway, Buffalo, NY 14214 – (716) 893-7222] is housed in “Dom Polski,” or the Polish Home. The Home was organized in 1905 to assist Polish immigrants in adapting to their new country. The PCC currently houses the J.C. Mazur Gallery and offers occasional film series and literary readings, all open to the public. The PCC functions as a community-based human services center in a neighborhood that was once predominantly Polish.
Buffalo and Erie County Naval and Serviceman’s Park [1 Naval Park Cove, Buffalo, NY – (716) 847-1773]. There is a “Polish Room” located on board the cruiser, Little Rock. The exhibit was created by and features history of Polish-American veterans in WWII. It also includes displays depicting the Polish Home Army.
Pulaski Monument [S. Division and Main Streets, adjacent to the Ellicott Square Building]. This status of General Kazimierz Pulaski was presented to the city by the people of Poland in 1976 as a gift during the bicentennial of the USA.
The Chopin Monument [Symphony Circle, Richmond and Porter, Buffalo, NY]. This monument was created by artist Jozef Mazur in the 1920s. It was originally located in front of the Buffalo Museum of Science but now stands before Kleinhan’s Music Hall.
Chopin Club Room [2155 Old Union Road, Cheektowaga, NY] was founded in 1899 by Boleslaus Michalski. It was located on Kosciuszko Street on Buffalo’s East Side for over 60 years. It is the location of Jozef Mazur murals, scraffito by Josef Slawinski and wood carvings by Henryk Jarosz. Open to the public for dinners and special programs such as Dyngus Day and Christmas “Wigilia” dinner. Home of internationally known mixed chorus, the Chopin Singing Society.
LIBRARIES AND MUSEUMS
Adam Mickiewicz Library and Dramatic Circle, 612 Fillmore Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14212 – (716) 847-0839
The Dramatic Circle was organized and began producing amateur theatricals in 1895. The library contains over 4,000 volumes and over 400 hand-written scripts for Polish plays. The building serves as a social center as well. https://www.loc8nearme.com/new-york/buffalo/adam-mickiewicz-library-and-dramatic-circle-inc/6126286/
The Polish Room, Lockwood Library – SUNY Buffalo, North Campus, Amherst, NY 14260 – (716) 636-2815
The Polish Collection was begun in 1955. Current holdings include books, periodicals, newspapers, films and artifacts covering the numerous contributions of the Poles in humanities, science and US history. Over 9,000 volumes, over 30 video recordings and a small collection of rare books and documents.
Polish Academic Information Center – SUNY Buffalo, North Campus, Amherst, NY 14260
Developed by Piotr Pienkowski, a professor at the Jagellonian University in Krakow, it is a unique inter-university agency of the Jagellonian University and SUNY Buffalo. It will serve as an information clearing house for those interested in pursuing studies related to Poland, its culture and language. More information can be found at its web site: http://wings.buffalo.edu/info-poland.
The Fronczak Room, Butler Library – Buffalo State College, 1300 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY – (716) 878-6304
The collection was donated to Buffalo State College by the Fronczak family. The bulk of materials documents Francis Fronczak, whose extensive career included national work with the Polish relief efforts in WWI and WWII, and his thirty-five year tenure as Commissioner of Health in Erie County.
Villa Maria College – 240 Pine Ridge Road, Buffalo, NY 14225 – (716) 896-0700
A special collection in the college library contains 3,000 volumes in the Polish language, with a focus on literary and historical subjects relating to Poland.
Felician Sisters’ Archives, Immaculate Heart of Mary Province – 600 Doat Street, Cheektowaga, NY 14211 – (716) 892-4141
Collection based on the Felician community and its ministries (schools, parishes) in New York, New England, and the Mid-Atlantic states. Four Sisters were editors of the Polish language magazine, Ave Maria (1924-1984). A Heritage Room of artifacts and documents related to the religious order is open to the public is located in the Provincial Convent Building.
Buffalo and Erie County Public Library – Central Branch, Lafayette Square, Buffalo, NY 14203 – (716) 858-8900
Local Polish Church records on microfilm, ca. 1874-1982. Also on microfilm are copies of the Polish newspaper, Dziennik dla Wszystkich (Everybody’s Daily), 1930-1957.
Buffalo and Erie County Public Library, Fronczak Branch – 1080 Broadway, Buffalo, NY 14212 – (716) 892-3941
Collection includes books on Polish Americans in Buffalo, vertical files with materials on local Polish community, scrapbooks, and back issues of the newspapers Am-Pol Eagle and Polish American Journal.
Holy Mother of the Rosary Polish National Cathedral [6298 Broadway, Lancaster, NY 14086 – (716) 683-7527 or 685-5767]. This church replaces the original Cathedral, located at Sobieski and Sycamore, where it served the people for 99 years. It is a contemporary structure that evokes the wooden churches of the Goral region. It has incorporated many of the original windows, statues, and other furnishings blended with new carvings and images.
St. Stanislaus R.C. Church [123 Townsend Street, Buffalo, NY 14212 – (716) 854-5511]. Founded in 1873 by Father John Pitass; oldest Polish-American Catholic Church in Western New York. As the mother church, this is where historical events are commemorated and where ecclesiastical and secular dignitaries meet. Church decorated by Jozef Mazur. Sunday masses in Polish language, 8AM and 12PM (radio mass). The “Polska Czytelnia,” the oldest Polish library in the USA, established in 1889, which has a collection of over 8,000 Polish books and journals is located in the “Pitass Center” of the parish.
St. Adalbert’s Basilica [212 Stanislaus Street, Buffalo, NY 14212 – (716) 894-8366]. Founded 1886, it was designated a basilica in 1907. It is the home parish of artist Jozef Mazur. Polish language Mass Sunday 9AM.
St. John Kanty R.C. Church [101 Swinburne, Buffalo, NY 14212 – (716) 893-0412]. Founded 1890; holds Dozynki (Harvest Festival) and Christmas concerts. Polish language Mass Sunday 7:30AM.
St. Casimir R.C. Church [160 Cable Street & Casimir, Buffalo, NY 14206 – (716) 824-9589] was founded in 1890; excellent example of Byzantine architecture.
Corpus Christi R.C. Church [189 Clark Street, Buffalo, NY 14212 – (716) 896-1050]. Founded 1899; first home of the Polish Franciscan Fathers (O.F.M. Conventuals) established by Reverend Jacek Fudzinski. The parish holds a Dozynki (Harvest Festival) in August. Polish language Mass Sunday 7:30AM and 10:30AM.
Assumption R.C. Church [435 Amherst Street, Buffalo, NY 14207 – (716) 875-7626]. Founded in 1888, the Romanesque-style church seats 1,600 people and offers a Polish language Mass on Sundays at 10:30AM. The Church hosts an annual Polish Carnival in the spring, which includes films, concerts, a gourmet dinner, and a carnival dance. The sanctuary is decorated with scrafitto images from the life of the Virgin Mary done by artist Joseph Slawinski.
St. Francis Conventual Friary [S-4263 St. Francis Drive, Athol Springs, NY – (716) 627-2710]. Houses two chapels decorated with scraffito murals of Polish and Polish-American history by Slawinski and DeRosen, who also did a giant mosaic at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington, DC. The Father Justin Rosary Hour, heard across the US and Canada, is produced here.
Bridge at Black Rock [over the Niagara River]. Sir Casimir Gzowski built the first international suspension bridge over the Niagara River.